Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Extra Left Boot. And The Gear List.

My trip changed a bit when my riding partner Rich was unable to go. We had planned to hotel it but now that I was on my own, I wanted to attend the MOA (motorcycle owners association) - the BMW national mcycle group's big annual rally in Des Moines, Iowa (7,000 are expected to attend). Camping / tenting takes on a whole different type of trip planning and packing. And when you're a gear geek, you (er...um I) can really get into the researching - the reading - the reviewing - and then the buying. I had some gear, had to purchase some new gear, and I also took the opportunity to upgrade some old gear. I think I did a good job packing and keeping it small. There is only just so much room on the motorcycle.

Each night, I need to unpack and then repack everything. So it's really important not to have a lot of stuff to carry or think about. So after my first night, I remembered this hard. So I decided - I need to shed some items. The first was an easy item - it was the extra left boot. 


One of the last minute upgrades were my riding boots. I got them the day before takeoff and it's really important to wear boots that are broken in. I was a bit concerned wouldn't be able to operate the clutch...turns out I burned a lot of energy "worrying" about the left boot. The new boots were a perfect fit. Fortunately for me, Kim (my most excellent first night host that makes an incredible omelette) is going to ship this back to my office. Thank you. Next up is shedding some clothes from my bag. 

So what did I bring? Feels like a brought too much, but here's my list:

Left Saddle Bag:
Various tools (flat tire plugger, CO2 canister for a quick tire inflate, electric tire pump/inflater that connects into my bike's battery) First Aid Kit, duct tape, mattress pad, ratchet straps (2) for potential ferry across Lake Michigan, tarp, 50' rope, dust pan, Marmot 2 person tent, fly, tent footprint, tent stakes and guy lines, head net (in case of bugs), permethrin (to douse the perimeter of my tent in case I'm in a tick prone area), bug spray, mace, emergency orange pancho. 
Candles were not part of the mix. And the beer coozie did not make the cut.

Right Saddle Bag:
camping chair, 2nd pair of riding pants (colder weather), flip flops, camping stove, pot, cup/dish, silverware, wind protector for stove, small towel, microfiber towel, rain pants (for campsite if raining), small collapsable water bottle, blue bag (waterproof in case I need to store more stuff on my bike), food (see pic below), book - Motorcycle Journey's Across North America.



Top Case:
large water bottle in a cover (to help keep cool), insulated water bottle, batteries (4 triple a), tent light, headlamp, 2 pairs of riding gloves, rain coat (for camp site), sun hat, food bag for day's journey, insulated tea cup w/yerba matte tea inside, travel atlas (maps), lighter (to ignite the camp stove), carry bag (with computer, a couple of magazines, pad for writing, all my electronic wires and chargers, vitamins). 

Sleeping bag, mattress pad, inflatable pillow
Stove, fuel and the pot it fits in. Contained in the pot is also a bowl with its' cover and the windscreen.


Tank Bag:
Extra straps, tic tacs, visine drops, chapstick, gum, tissues, MOA anonymous book (listing of members across the USA to touch base with just in case or just for conversation and coffee), ear plugs, 2 handkerchiefs, helmet lock, ginger candies, purell, ezpass, tire guage, chapstick, sun lotion, hair ties, and my motorcycle angel (a prized and treasured gift given for my first ride).



Suitcase:
This is strapped to the passenger seat of the motorcycle, right behind me. It has my sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, the tent poles, belt w/my BMW buckle which I have never worn but thought it was perfect for the rally, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of black hiking pants, 1 pair of grey 3/4 pants and 1 pink button down shirt (for a dress outfit), 2 pairs of shorts, 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 sleeping pants and 1 sleep shirt, 1 sports bra, 1 mcycle riding t shirt, 1 long sleeve (nice), 2 different weight zip ups, 1 patagonia sweater jacket, 4 pairs of socks, 4 pairs of underwear, 1 bra, toiletries (which are my bonus items - def jammed a lot in but have used most of it already), electric tooth brush and plug, 1 pair keen sandals, wet naps, panty liners, a couple of maxi pads (just in case I get surprised and in the middle of nowhere), pack towel large and small. 

I'm wearing - shorts, riding pants, sports bra, underwear, t-shirt, socks, boots, riding jacket, gloves, helmet and head covering (to help reduce helmet rub).  

I had to bring 2 pairs of glasses, sunglasses and regular glasses. I also have a GPS and new this year, a Delorme inReach - which is tracking my progress across country, allows messaging when I have zero cell service, and serves as an emergency SOS beacon if activated. And yes, I did secure the additional insurance coverage to pay for the rescue, if needed. (Find me here: https://share.garmin.com/RachelSloan)

As I write this, I see a few things I can shed. Will review each time I pack up again.

Ready to Rumble!


No comments:

Post a Comment