Saturday, July 14, 2018

Not Tenting It.

A few years ago, cousin Beth and I took a hiking/camping essentials class over a weekend at the Adirondack (ADK) Mountain Club Heart Lake property near Lake Placid, NY. It was conducted by the ADK 46'ers, a volunteer group of real outdoor people - all of whom have hiked the 46 high peaks in the ADK Park. (fyi...highest peak in NYS is Mount Marcy - somewhere near 5k.) This class was about raising awareness of how to prepare for hiking in the mountains. When you are miles in - you are in some remote places - there is no cell service and you really need to prepare properly. It was a great weekend, we tented (Yes!), we met some great people, and we learned a lot.

One of the most important things I learned...it's OK to abandon the destination. Let me explain.

When you're on ground level (before you start your trip), everything may seem so lovely and the weather is just simply gorgeous. When you start trekking into the mountains and you get further away from your normal, things can change both slowly and rapidly. There are some things you control and there are some you can't (God give me the wisdom to know the difference). Most important is to be aware. Aware of what is happening not only around you but within you too.

What happens too many times, we become so hyper-focused on the destination we forget to pay attention to the details. I must make it up this mountain...it becomes a mantra. I must make it to the top, I must make it to the top, I must make it to the top, I must make it to the top. All the while, you don't notice the clouds coming in, or the lack of water, or that there is ice forming as you enter the higher elevations, your trip is taking longer than expected and you don't have a headlamp to walk you out at night, etc. Now you may understand more, I must make it up the mountain becomes the danger as you are unaware of the red flags. And because of this, you may place other people in danger too. They may have to share their limited resources with you or you may need to be rescued.

That weekend pounded this lesson into my brain. Be aware and be strong to embrace "abandon the destination". It is not easy to do. Ego is never easy.

If you read an earlier post, you know I went over to the campground and set up my tent. I met up with some great guys and gals - all of whom are tough! And kind of awesome. I really wanted to be one of them. Something started happening to me yesterday...I had been sweating profusely, literally dripping down my body type of sweating, and I felt as if my body was starting to break down. I've been drinking so much freakin' water it's ridiculous that when I finished my 64 ounces of water and felt as if I was still so parched and had to find more water immediately - it was a sign I started to pay attention too. This was after a major allergy attack began a few hours earlier, my breathing seemed to be altered and my eye started to swell. It was after the water incident that I thought to myself..."how many signs do you need Sloan to abandon the destination?".

I really wanted to tent. I went to great lengths to prepare to tent. My mantra was "I am tenting at the BMW MOA rally in Iowa". In my mind, it is a rite of passage...an honor. I wanted to be a part of the hard core group that tents...anytime anywhere especially in 95 degree weather. I can do it. I just drove 1,000 miles to Des Moines, I am going to tent!

I felt so bad about this decision, I couldn't even tell the guys that I was abandoning ship - I had to go back to the hotel. I did kind of laugh though when preparing to leave the campsite...I said to myself, "I'm riding solo and I don't have to explain shit to anyone." I closed up my tent, suited up, and put my badass self on my badass bike and drove back to my badass 4 story walkup hotel. I did smile all the way home as all I could think of was the cool air conditioning, the clean shower, and a beautiful comfy bed that awaits me.

When I climbed into bed, I know I made the right decision, for me.

--------------------------

In the morning....
Jill, another solo woman rider, got in yesterday and I helped set up her tent. We connected via Facebook before the rally and plan to drive out to Colorado together. I texted her last night to let her know, I abandoned ship and there is a second bed in the room - if she needed it - it would be there for her. She texted me at 5.36 am this morning - "I may take you up on your offer." It was a hot one last night.

Final words, this AM at breakfast, I met Valerie, another solo woman rider who is teaching an off roading class at the Rally. She's been riding for 40 years and she's from Colorado. She too brought tenting gear and basically said - it is absolutely insane to tent in this weather. It kind of made me feel really good. I like Valerie and I think Jill is taking her class this AM too. Funny how things work out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment