Friday, July 20, 2018

Motorcycles Use EXTREME Caution

How many times have you stopped doing something because you were unsure or filled with uncertainty or fear? 

How do you consistently move through something with the constant of said, fear?

Out on the road on 2 wheels, you feel everything. And everything is way different from a car. From smells, to sights, to challenging your mind and to your heart opening. When you are in a car on the highway moving at 80 mph, you don’t necessarily feel the wind a truck produces in front of you or when a car passes you. I can tell you, when I’m just about to pass a truck - I can literally feel the air, that the huge truck on my right is splitting in front of us. It’s kind of crazy.
Hoosier Pass in Colorado. Loved my time here.

So when there is road construction and all these orange signs start to appear- the signals are clear - be prepared, "something" is just ahead. Will there be uneven lanes? loose gravel? unpaved roads? did you ever notice a sign that says, "Motorcycles use caution”. When I see this sign, there is a deep tightening of my entire body, my hands are gripping the handlebars hard, my mouth tenses, my heart drops into my stomach…it really is not a feel good situation for me. I’ve seen so many orange construction signs that it struck me when I came across the latest one…"Motorcycles Use EXTREME Caution". I've never seen an extreme caution sign before...therefore it was natural that my body was reacting in an extreme way. And that's when I noticed what I was experiencing. 

My mind wondered, which it does excessively on a 6-8 hour motorcycle ride without radio or music. It's at some moment in the ride I asked what if I just relaxed every time I saw an orange sign. Is this the opportunity I've been searching for to work on breath, relaxation and mindfulness? The irony of the construction zone sign - did not pass me by.

I made it to Denver, Breckenridge, Frisco, Vail, Glenwood Springs, Grand Mesa Pass and now Paonia. I’m tenting with 500 other BMW riders (well some are at hotels too). We are tenting in the middle of this beautiful town park. Last night it cooled down - so it made sleeping pretty awesome. Well as good as a first night of camping sleep can be.

There are plenty of male riders at these Rally’s - some are a lot of fun - and some not so. The women are always interesting. Met another solo woman rider last night - she lives in Vail, has a boyfriend in Georgia and regularly crosses the USA solo on her motorcycle. We were going to ride today - but I needed a rest day. My eye is completely swollen and not liking the wind at all. I’m fairly certain the sun and the wind at 80 mph has not been good for it.

Sitting around the tent, in my camp chair, with my laptop - writing, thinking, resting, talking with my neighbor, watching people roll in and set up their tents. One of the vendors is smoking some meat - looks and smells delish. Will def be eating there tonight. Embracing this moment for what it is…a gift. 


Relaxing. Writing. 



My neighbor. Enjoying the company and the day together.


A fellow just walked by - met him earlier - old navy man (have met a number of vets) - he’s been very nice. He mentioned he knows one of the locals that has some nice botanicals…he said he will stop by later. I’m down with that, I like the locals. 

Riding a motorcycle definitely adds a layer of cool for both men and women. I have met so many people from all walks of life - digging the chance to meet, talk and share life.

======================================

So how does one move through the fear?

Keep the constant vision of what it feels like to be on the other side of it. Wear it, breathe it and believe it.   


This post is dedicated to all the women who are solo riding. I have loved meeting each one and soaking in their enthusiasm, inspiration and their sense of adventure. 

As seen at the largest truck stop on I80.

No comments:

Post a Comment